What do you do when you need to buy something or just want to browse through some options before buying something?
You google it!
You type a random search on google, say ‘natural health supplements’ & voila!
There you have a bunch of Google ads from various companies selling natural supplements that you can check out & buy if you want.
Well, your customers are no different. Every time they have to buy a product or service, they follow the same process. And since you are on the selling end of this system, you can make use of this to increase your sales. But getting a person to see your ad on Google & then to actually convert into a customer is not so easy. It is a multi-stage process, which we can better explain through a funnel, called a Conversion Funnel, wherein a common viewer of your Google ad enters & comes out as your brand’s customer.
What is a Conversion Funnel?
A Conversion Funnel is essentially a pathway that starts from you spreading awareness about your brand & ends giving you customers. Once you understand each step of this funnel properly, you can easily generate more & more leads, thereby increasing your sales.
A general conversion funnel looks like this.
The top of the funnel starts with you generating awareness about your brand, then comes generating interest in your potential customers’ minds. Then some of them start considering your products & of these, some actually end up buying from you, becoming customers.
How does it help?
- Well, as said before, if you can understand it well enough, it can actually help you generate more & more customers.
- Understanding each phase of the funnel, helps you lay down a strong strategy, that helps you attract more customers to your brand. After all, one of the most basic questions for your consumers is why they should choose you over others?
- Though the basic function of it is to generate more & more customers for your brand, you can optimize & modify the conversion funnel, depending on your brand’s requirements.
How does it work?
Now, if you are thinking that you’ll show one ad on Google & you’re website will be flooding with leads, or if a person visited your website, they will definitely convert; then let us tell you, that’s not how it works.
That’s definitely NOT how it works!
Whether you want people buying your products or services or just leave a lead behind for you to follow, you need to work for it. In a sense, you need to EARN that conversion. To understand how we will lead you through each step of the Conversion Funnel, one by one.
Start by generating AWARENESS through Google Ads
People will visit your website if they know what you do. And for that to happen, you have to tell them.
Let’s take the natural supplements example again.
For your targeted audience to know you sell natural supplements, they need to see your name up first, when they google the keyword.
And how do you make this happen?
Through Google search ads & Google shopping ads.
Let us explain to you how this goes.
- First, if a person is typing a specific keyword as ‘natural health supplements’ in Google search, there’s a really high probability that he/she has a high intent of buying it. And this is the class of customers you wish to target, the people who want to buy what you’re selling.
- For this, you need to use Google search ads & Google shopping ads. The reason we say this is that unlike Facebook ads, TV ads or hoardings, that target a cold audience, Google ads are shown only to the audience that searches for the specific service & is actually interested in buying your services.
- So, you put up an ad using Google search ads or Google shopping ads, so that your products pop up when someone types up that keyword. You can put up a Google search ad using Google ads, but for putting up Google shopping ads, you’ll need to use Google Merchant centre.
For both these ads, you’ll have to pay through the CPC (Cost Per Click) model. This means you’ll be paying only for the number of clicks your products get, i.e. for the number of people that visited you.
This way you let your audience know that you’re selling the services they are looking for.
Out of all the people who see your ads, the people who clicked on it are the people you should target. So, through awareness, you get to sort the larger audience to a more specific audience, that is more interested in your products.
And this takes us to the next step of the funnel.
Awareness leads to POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS
Of all the people that click on your ads & visited your website, some might browse through your products & even buy some. Which means that they converted to a customer, directly from your Google ad. But this will happen in the case of very few people, out of the total number of people who clicked.
Most of the people who viewed your products, will not convert immediately. But they are potential customers. There might be a number of scenarios, due to which they didn’t convert. Of all the scenarios, we will select the following. (in all the below-given scenarios, we will consider, that our potential customers are yet to buy the supplements they were looking for)
- They thought of browsing more options before buying
- They visited another competing website, but are yet to buy
- They could not finish the buying process due to some issue
- They bought a competing product
Whatever the reason might be, they are still your potential customers & you need to target them in order to turn them into leads.
So, we started this step with all the people that clicked on the ads & are left with the people who clicked but did not buy.
This leads us to the next step of turning these potential customers to considerers.
Turn potential customers to Considerers
Now, of all the people that didn’t buy, some might leave a lead on your landing page, by leaving their contact details, like an email ID. In this scenario, you contact them through mail, trying to convert them to customers.
For the people that didn’t leave a lead, you retarget them using Facebook Pixel & Google remarketing list as mentioned below.
- You can target these potential customers using Facebook Pixel targeting them on their Facebook & Instagram accounts. Since they have visited you once, chances are that little recall ads will make them want to return to you once more. And even if they don’t buy, they might leave a lead, which is beneficial.
- You can also use Google remarketing list to target those potential customers through Google display ads. You can display these ads on various websites & apps. But remember to display them only on contextually relevant websites, so that they are less intrusive but you are still able to make a recall.
- To ensure that these customers come back to you, it is often a good idea to showcase an offer or discount along with the deadline while retargeting on these websites. This makes it easier & quicker for the prospect to decide.
These steps help you get many of the potential customers back to you, who will either buy from you & if not that, they will at least start considering your product.
Considerers will become CUSTOMERS
The final step of the funnel. This is where you turn those who are considering your product to your customers.
Basically you have to prove why they should choose you over your competitors. You need to stay in touch with them & remind them of your brand from time to time in a way to bring them back to your website urging them to make a purchase. This you can do in a number of ways. Some of them are mentioned below.
- Use a good email marketing strategy to stay in touch with them. You can keep them informed about sales, discounts & other such offers to lure them back to your website, so that they can buy from you. Keep them updated about newer products & also similar products on your website.
- Remember to keep your emails personalized & responsive, so that they actually read them instead of simply throwing them in the trash. The better your emails, the more they would want to come back to you & convert to customers.
- Another way of interactive communication is to ask them questions, relevant to your product categories or ask them what they thought of your website, these will help you get a better interaction with them.
- Not all of them will convert & for those not responding to you, you cannot keep tracking them forever. So, after a time limit, say after 45 days, send them an email, telling them you won’t be contacting them anymore, but to browse through your products, they can reach out to you.
Out of these considerers, some will become customers, but the customers that come out of the funnel will be loyal customers that will stay with you for longer.
The Final Word
This conversion funnel will help you increase your engagement & combined with an amazing marketing strategy, it will take your sales up, up, UP!
If you wish to know more about Google Ads conversion funnels or have a question regarding the blog, do drop your questions in the comments below.
You can also reach out to us by dropping us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also Read :